Sunday, June 10, 2012

DIY High-Low Racerback?!

I can't believe I successfully did this!

After breakfast this morning, I felt more creative than usual! So, I took advantage of said creativity feels, and decided to try to make my own racerback tank!

On the search for an old t-shirt, I found this shirt I bought at an Italian festival (so random, I know...) nearly two years ago for $3. It's a size XXL-XXXL, I believe, so the fact it was abnormally large pretty much made up my mind whether or not to risk it by chopping it up!

I never in a million YEARS would have thought I could make anything even remotely creative out of a t-shirt! I can barely make a card nowadays, haha.

I followed a tutorial by Blogilates for the majority of the... crafting(?)... But I stopped at step 8 and took it my way from there!

DIY High-Low Racerback Tank Top

MATERIALS:
- Old t-shirt (I'd recommend using a bigger sized t-shirt, too, if you want it to be high-low!)
- Pair of scissors
- Hot glue gun

DIRECTIONS:
1. Cut away the crew neck the sleeves and the bottom. For the sleeves, you will want to start at the shoulder (you decide how thick you want the strap to be) and cut straight into the chest area. Then curve. If you curve the whole way, it’s gonna look weird on you. If you have no idea what I am talking about, no worries, just follow the tutorial, you can always snip away later. Try to follow my pictures.

2. Clean up the edges. Decide how low you want the neckline to be.

3. Turn the shirt to the back and make a narrower racerback. Then cut a deep V.

4. Take the bottom edge of the shirt that you cut off and cut the seams off so that you’re just left with fabric.

5. Stretch it like a maniac. This is fun.

6. You’re left with a really cool noodle thing. It’s really long too!

7. About 2” above the bottom of the V tie a know with one edge of the noodle.

8. Wind it round ‘n round, then double knot it at the other end too. Cut off loose ends

9. Lay the shirt down. Take the first/front layer. Start cutting a crescent shape slowly starting at the left corner.

10. Fold over and glue back any roughly cut edges.

11. If needed, use any leftover fabric to tie the sleeves together into a knot to make them thinner. (My sleeves were still nearly t-shirt sleeves because of how big the shirt was to begin with!)


Hope this tutorial made sense! It's A LOT easier than it sounds/looks... Trust me. If I could successfully do it, so can YOU!

No comments:

Post a Comment