Thursday, July 19, 2012

Giving and Gaining

A few days ago, I was in the car with my mom and my little sister. On our way home from the store, we saw the same homeless guy that we see {at least} once a week in the same spot. It looked like it was about to rain, so he was lounging on the main street corner underneath an umbrella with his stuff. He seemed content. Not unhappy.

We passed him, and he waved and smiled at us... Like he always does. He doesn't ignore people passing. He smiles at them. (You would think living that type of lifestyle wouldn't result in a smile on your face.) But, after we saw that, we immediately turned around. On our way back, again, we passed him... This time, I offered him $2. He acceptably and happily took it, and then he thanked us. By giving him those $2, instead of losing something (money), I felt like I gained something. I felt incredibly good and grateful for what I have, and my heart felt warm. My mom's did, too. She also told me that every time she sees him, she wants to give him something. Anything. Food, drinks, clothes, money... Even $0.50 could make a difference when living that type of lifestyle, you know? She told me, even if she only had $1 left, she would give it to him and feel good about herself. I agreed.

Seeing people like that, who don't even seem to be miserable, totally give me a more accepting and different perspective on life. It makes me realize how much more appreciative I should be. (Not that I'm not already! I promise I am! Haha.) Yeah, we all have our problems... But are they really as bad as we make them seem? Everything is only as bad as you make it out to be.
Don't ever take anything (or anyone) for granted... Not even that $1 you have in your wallet. Be happy you even HAVE that $1! Don't let little things get you down so easily anymore. Remember all the little things that you can be happy about in the long-run.
(Source.)

Imagine living in his shoes... Would you be as smiley and nice as he was?


No comments:

Post a Comment