Sunday, November 11, 2012

Breaking the Fast

Guys... I love breakfast. It's not a secret that I really love me some breakfast. It's probably my favorite meal of the day... at least most days. You just have so many choices of what to eat for breakfast/meal #1! Whether you are eating pre-workout, post-workout, or just to start your day... There. Are. So. Many. Choices.

But, you wouldn't believe how many people tell me they never eat breakfast for one or more of the following reasons:
1. "I'm not hungry when I wake up."
- So, have a protein shake. Or a substantial drink, like maybe an Ensure? Having SOMETHING. ANYTHING to get your metabolism going. Unless you want to be starving an hour later... Do your body good, and put something in your system.
2. "I need to lose weight."
- Tell me exactly how skipping a meal will ultimately aid your weight loss? Do you know what starvation brings? Let me show you a quick diagram.
What about if you skip it, and come lunchtime, you want to eat all the things? That's gonna help aid your weight loss?
3. "I don't have time."
- But you had time to make a cup of coffee?! You have time to do your hair and makeup for 30 minutes, but you don't have time to open up a protein bar? Or to maybe pour a bowl of cereal and milk? You can eat while you're doing things, ya know! Wake up earlier if need be. I didn't know opening the package of a Clif or Quest bar took effort and time. You can always make your breakfast, like overnight oats, the night before and just take it on-the-go... Not that hard!! Excuses no more!
4. "I'm having a big meal during lunch/dinner."/"I'm going out to eat later and I want to be hungry/save my calories!"
- You'd rather "save your calories" so, come the time of said meal, you eat until you feel like you may vomit? What will one higher calorie day do to you? Nothing, that's what. If you eat healthily at least 80% of the week, the other 20% won't matter. Why starve yourself the entire day to "save calories" for a big meal? Be smart.


I mean, why would you want to skip a meal like this:
Low calorie, high protein pumpkin protein pancakes layered with peanut butters, cereals, banana slices, and cinnamon roll protein cream, all topped with healthy and clean chocolate sauce.

Or, maybe like this...

What are the BENEFITS of eating breakfast?
  • Studies show that eating a healthy breakfast (as opposed to the high, refined sugar kind) can help give you A more nutritionally complete diet, higher in nutrients, vitamins and minerals, improved concentration and performance in the classroom or the boardroom, more strength and endurance to engage in physical activity, and actually lower your cholesterol levels. (x)
  • Many studies, in both adults and children, have shown that breakfast eaters tend to weigh LESS than breakfast skippers. Why? One theory suggests that eating a healthy breakfast can reduce hunger throughout the day, and help people make better food choices at other meals. While it might seem you could save calories by skipping breakfast, this is not an effective strategy. Typically, hunger gets the best of breakfast-skippers, and they eat more at lunch and throughout the day. Another theory behind the breakfast-weight control link implies that eating breakfast is part of a healthy lifestyle that includes making wise food choices and balancing calories with exercise. For example, consider the successful losers followed by the National Weight Control Registry, all of whom have lost at least 30 pounds and kept it off at least one year. Some 80% of the people in the Registry regularly eat breakfast (and also follow a calorie-controlled, low-fat diet). (x)
And, if those facts don't convince you, here is another list of the benefits of breakfast.
Weight loss, weight gain, or weight maintenance... Be smart about your choices, do what's best for you and your body, and feed your body well and balanced. (This doesn't mean to avoid any foods, because that's not a healthy lifestyle.) If you're feeding it well most of the time, calories won't matter any of the time.

2 comments:

  1. I was a "I can't eat breakfast..it makes me sick to my stomach" type of person. I do eat breakfast now and my husband started to eat breakfast this summer and has lost almost 50lbs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's AWESOME! Another great reason to eat breaky ;)

      Delete