My dad's friend had made us eggplant Parmesan the other night, and me and my mom tried it and loved it! But, aside from being full of fat and only being able to have a miniature piece for one serving, it was also fried. We wanted to recreate it, but we didn't want all the unnecessary fats and fried ingredients along with it.
With inspiration from this recipe, I recreated it!
(Original) Eggplant Parmesan
1/10th of the recipe: 487 calories | 16g fat
... And this is when it's not fried, too!
(My) Healthier Eggplant Parmesan
Total recipe: 1140 calories | 21.5 g fat
1/5th of the recipe (the serving above): 228 calories | 4.3 g fat
Ingredients (for 5 people):
about 2 lb eggplant, peeled - 200 calories | 1g fat
2 egg whites - 30 calories | 0g fat
1 cup Progresso Italian breadcrumbs - 440 calories | 4g fat
2 cups of tomato sauce - 320 calories | 12g fat
1/2 cup Kraft fat-free shredded mozzarella cheese - 90 calories | 0g fat
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese - 60 calories | 4.5g fat
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. Dip your sliced eggplant slices in egg white, then into breadcrumbs.
3. Place the coated eggplant slices layered down onto a cookie sheet. Bake for 5-10 minutes on each side.
4. In a separate baking dish, spread a layer of tomato sauce on the bottom.
5. Place a layer of the baked and coated eggplant slices on top.
6. Sprinkle the eggplant with some of your mozzarella and some of your Parmesan cheese.
7. Repeat by putting another layer of sauce, your remaining eggplant slices, and your remaining cheese on top.
8. Bake in preheated oven for 35-45 minutes, or until golden brown.
Hope you guys make it and enjoy it!! My family absolutely loved it, and it tasted just as good as eggplant Parmesan should! I had mine over a "rainbow" salad... Soooo yummy!!