Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Decadently... Healthy?!

Yes, you read that title right!

I've created (initially based off of and inspired by Jamie Eason) two new desserts/snacks so decadent that you wouldn't even THINK they were healthy if you didn't create them yourself! I mean, I don't wanna toot my own horn, but I PROMISE my family will back me up on this!  Today was my second batch of s'mores protein cake since Sunday... and it's only Wednesday!

I immediately got inspired for something s'mores-related when I found these at Target:
I would've bought these even if they were $400 because they're just that cute! 

Okay, okay, without any further procrastination...

S'mores Protein Bars (... or Cake!)

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups oat flour (plain oats ground into a flour texture)
2 scoops chocolate protein powder
1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup Stevia/Splenda/sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 egg whites
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
4 (individually-added) tbsp apple sauce
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
handful of flaxseed (optional... I used 2-4 tbsp)
1/2 cup teeny tiny marshmallows (or mini marshmallows, halved)
1 tbsp baking powder

Directions:
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
Blend oats with protein powder, sweetener, baking powder and salt. Blend until oats are completely ground and everything's mixed. When done, pour into a large bowl.
In a medium bowl, whisk together egg whites with almond milk, apple and vanilla extract. Add into large bowl.
Mix, then pour in marshmallows and flaxseed. Mix until fully combined.
Pour into two 8x8 trays (or whatever size you want).
Bake for 21 minutes. (That's the time that seemed perfect both times I made these... I know, odd, but make sure you don't over-bake! They will come out dry if you do. Otherwise, they're moist for DAYS!)

Apple & Almond Protein Bars (or, again, CAKE!)

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups oat flour
2 scoops cinnamon roll or vanilla protein
approx. 2/3 cup apple, diced (I used Golden Delicious... My favorite!)
1/2 cup sweetener
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
pinch of nutmeg
2 egg whites
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
4 (individually-added) tbsp apple sauce
1 tsp almond extract
handful of slivered almonds
handful of flaxseed (optional)
1 tbsp baking powder

Directions:
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
Blend oats with protein powder, sweetener, baking powder and salt. Blend until oats are completely ground and everything's mixed. When done, pour into a large bowl.
In a medium bowl, whisk together egg whites with almond milk, apple and almond extract. Add into large bowl.
Mix, then pour in diced apple, slivered almonds and flaxseed. Mix until fully combined.
Pour into two 8x8 trays (or whatever size you want).
(Optional but recommended >>) Mix together 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/3 cup sweetener and a pinch of nutmeg. Sift on top.
Bake for 21 minutes. (Again, that's the time that seemed perfect for these! Haha.)


I hope you guys enjoy and make these for yourself! If you had to choose one to make, I'd 100% recommend the s'mores first. They came out incredible both times, and my family is obsessed! Even got my little sister's approval! 

No comments:

Post a Comment